20 January 2011

Simple Is Best!

The title of this post is somehow a saying in Japan, in English.

I've been trying to get my digital things organised, I got a new computer in the summer and I still haven't got around to copying everything over neatly yet!

I've also got a lot of online/sns sites that I use haphazardly for different purposes. So I decided to try and get things organised somehow and spent time researching different websites and programs that help you out. But I don't really want to sign up for another account. I want less!

So I went right back to basics and went through all the sign-up emails and have listed out everything (I think!) that I'm signed up to, along with password hints and how things are conected to each other. Flickr uses my yahoo email, for example. Then I added a final column for "Use". It seems a little too organised but it's helping me sort things out!

Mostly I have things clearly defined now, except for this blog and Tumblr. I think the reason I blog less on this is because I don't really know what it covers now! Once I can get a definition clear then I'll know what kind of blog I have.

Anyway, the main point I wanted to make was that I didn't need any fancy system, new software or a new account on yet another website. I just needed the simplest tools that I already have on my computer. A spreadsheet and a word processing program. It didn't even need to be Office, anything would have done.

I know that simple is better than complicated, but it's hard to remember sometimes. Especially when you get caught up in the excitement of the new, shiny things.

Hmm.. perhaps I need to carry this over into shopping as well...

No comments:

Post a Comment