28 November 2010

Tokyo Nail Expo 2010

Well, Art Every Day Month seems to have fallen by the wayside, but it did give me a bit of a kick in the right direction, which is what I wanted!

Anyway, yesterday and today is Tokyo's Nail Expo 2010. I haven't posted much about my nail art here. I'm not sure why... like it isn't "arty" enough. Well, mostly this blog was to be for the postcards I guess.


Nail Art is really popular in Japan and I've been going to evening class for almost two years now. My strengths are in selecting colours, adapting designs, stonework and painted designs. My weak points are 3D art, detailed paintwork and gradiations.

The Nail Expo is for professionals, students, hobbyists and anyone with an interest. Though I think if you just like to look at the pretty nails you'd be better off with a magazine, it's crowded and the discount tradestands are what most people go for.

I arrived at Odaiba's Big Sight just after it opened and there was already a lot of people there and quite a lot already leaving with big bags off stuff! I made the rounds and looked at most of the stalls before jumping in to the Okamoto stand to pick up some bargins. OPI polish at half the retail price was the best part and I got some higher quality stones than I usually use! I also picked up two bowls for soaking just your fingertips, as I want to do more nail and hand care at home. It was a squash and I got stuck in the aisles a few times. You just had to wait til people shuffled along and then shuffle with! It's not for the claustophobic, that's for sure.

I wandered around watching some of the demonstrations for tips but they are almost always gel nails. My own nails are long and healthy so I really don't need gel. It's a shame there wasn't more old-school demonstrations but it was good to watch the professionals explain things. I also watched a bit of the contest where lots of top nail techs compete for the title. I'll have to wait for the magazines to see who won though.

I also saw my nail art teacher there and because she runs a salon one of the trade stands was giving her and her friend a free bottle of polish so I got one too! Nice timing! Some of the stand were giving samples of hand lotions which are now stashed in my desk at work.

It was crowded, hot, noisy and frantic but it was a great chance and I got some good bargins and I'll definately be back next year!

3 comments:

  1. Good to hear you had a good time!

    I would love to see you do a postcards/nails tie-up project of some sort. (^_^)

    ReplyDelete
  2. How could that work, I wonder...:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Design a postcard based on your nails or do your nails inspired by one of your postcards.

    And post the results, of course. (^_^)

    ReplyDelete